Homework 3: Due at Beginning of Class, September 23, 2011). (Students Reviewing These Papers Are Released from this Homework)
1. Modern concepts of deep moist convection can be traced with a field project headed by Horace Byers. What was the name of that project and in what year was the research findings from it published? (Denise Balukas is released from this question).
2. What is the minimum combined cloud shied area for a group of thunderstorms to be labeled a Mesoscale Convective Complex? (Denise Balukas is released from this question).
3. During the period 1980-1999, the maximum in the geographic pattern of giant hail reports (> 2" diameter) was centered in which states? (Victor Frank is released from this question).
4. The superposition of which two factors accounts for the geographic maximum in CAPE that explains the hail maximum. (Victor Frank is released from this question).
5. What are the orders of magnitude of the synoptic-scale vertical wind and the convective scale vertical wind? (Jaqueline Bennett is released from this question).
6. Surface southeasterly flow underneath a polar jet is a common stratification for Great Plains' convective outbreaks. Why is such a stratification NOT conducive to severe weather development in the western Mediterranean? (Jaqueline Bennett is released from this question).