Inclass Exercise and Homework 2: Metr 535/835
Hard Copies Due September 16, 2011
- Determine the time of the Joplin, Missouri tornado from the SPC website.
- Using the Weather and Climate Toolkit, create the following plots each of the Level III radar data from the Springfield, Missouri WSR-88D (KSGL) site at about the time of the Joplin tornado the time of the tornado(as logged on SPC) site. Please note that the data are alsostored in the
courses subdirectory (for Metr 835) on funnel. Careful, you may have to remember what we did in Metr 415/715 and obtain plots at different tilts.
- Plots to document a Bounded Weak Echo Region;
- Plot to document a low and mid level mesocyclone (both in the reflectivity and storm relative velocity data);
- A plot to document the radar identified location of a mesocyclone and tornado vortex signature;
- The Vertical Azimuth Display wind profile.