Department of Geosciences Name _____________________
San Francisco State University
Metr 201, Spring 2010
Monteverdi Quiz #2
1. Radar. (10 points each for a total of 50 points in this section).
Figure 1: Radar Analysis for 1749 UTC 11 February 2005
1. Convert the time and date to PDT ____________________________________
2. The overlapping white circles on the map of the United States indicate what?
3. Why is there a grey area shown in eastern California extending into central Nevada?
4. What do the areas colored in primary pigments (dark blue, light blue, dark green, yellow etc.) generally represent?
5. Based upon your consideration of Fig. 1, Los Angeles was experiencing what kind of weather at the time of the chart?
B. Satellite. Examine Figures 2 and 3, and note the locations shown at A, B and C on both images. (50 pts)
Figure 2: Visible Satellite Image, 1730 UTC 11 February 2005
Figure 3: Enhanced Infrared Satellite Image, 1730 UTC 11 February 2005
1. Which of the three locations has the clouds that are most likely be towering the highest in the troposphere and why? (20 pts)
2. Here are the three cloud types that are occurring at either location A, B and C: stratus, altocumulus, and cumulonimbus. Insert these cloud names at their most likely location. You may only use the cloud type once: (15 pts)
Location A ________________
Location B _________________
Location C _________________
3. The temperature of the cloud tops at location B is (15 pts)