|DEPARTMENT OF GEOSCIENCES
San Francisco State University
Metr 201 Synoptic Metr Quiz # 5
A. Radar. (5 points each for a total of 15 points in this section).
Figure 1: Radar Analysis for 1749 UTC 11 February 2005
1. Convert the time and date to PDT ____________________________________
2. The overlapping white circles on the map of the United States indicate what?
3. Why is there a grey area shown in eastern California extending into central Nevada?
B. Satellite. Examine Figures 2 and 3, and note the locations shown at A, B and C on both images. (50 pts)
Figure 2: Visible Satellite Image, 1730 UTC 11 February 2005
Figure 3: Enhanced Infrared Satellite Image, 1730 UTC 11 February 2005
1. Which of the three locations has the clouds that are most likely be towering the highest in the troposphere and why? (20 pts)
2. Here are the three cloud types that are occurring at either location A, B and C: stratus, altostratus, and cumulonimbus. Insert these cloud names at their most likely location. You may only use the cloud type once: (15 pts)
Location A ________________
Location B _________________
Location C _________________
3. The temperature of the cloud tops at location B is (15 pts)
C. Synthesis. (40 points)
The graphic below shows a combined radar image, infrared satellite image and surface data plot for around 1700 UTC, 29 April 2009 (N.B.: the times for each are not quite the same, but are roughly coincident with 1700 UTC).
Comment on the extent to which the information given on the radar image is consistent with the information shown on the satellite image and surface data plot. This can be done in four to five sentences. As soon as you find yourself writing paragraphs, you are on the wrong track and providing much too much detail. (Answer on the back or on a separate sheet).